Pests are very harmful for the growth of plants. They can cause severe damage to the flowers, fruits and vegetables. Using chemical pesticides is not the best option as they cause harm to the environment. They also leave behind pesticide residues on the fruits and vegetables, rendering them unsafe for healthy as well as for human consumption.
However, there are many organic pesticides that can be prepared at home to control the menace of pests. Let us read about one such home-made pesticide.
An easy way to prepare organic pesticide at home is by using vegetables.
- Take 113 grams (1/2 cup) of hot peppers with 113 grams of onions or garlic cloves.
- Chop the vegetables and blend them together in an electric blender to form a thick, chunky paste.
- Warm 500 millilitres (2 cups) of water and add the vegetable paste to the water.
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly and transfer the contents to a glass or plastic container.
- Allow the solution to stand undisturbed in a sunny location for the next 24 hours.
- Strain the mixture with the help of a strainer and collect the water of the solution in a neat container. This vegetable-induced water is the pesticide.
- Transfer the pesticide into a clean spray bottle.
- Spray your plants with this organic pesticide once in five days.
This pesticide generally causes the pests to scatter after using it for three to four times on them and prevents them from returning during the rest of the season.